Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mystory VII: Quest schema


 
To add to my previous mystory, I will discuss the schema of Star Wars and how they overall contribute to the feel and story of the film. The OUTER PROBLEM is obviously the mission to rescue Princess Leia and destroy the Death Star. However, the INNER PROBLEMS have to mostly with Luke realizing how important he is to the rebels' mission and gaining the courage and strength to carry out his destiny. This involves leaving his ORDINARY world of his uncle's farm and finding a THRESHOLD guardian and mentor in Obi-wan, who also introduces Luke to the MAGIC TOOL of the Force. The Force is quite possibly one of the most important plot points in the film, as it creates a SPECIAL WORLD for Luke by the introduction to such a powerful and conceptual way of thought and seeing the universe. This also make Obi-wan a DONOR for introducing these concepts to Luke.

The ORDEALS faced in the movie are those brought about by the circumstances present. There is the main conflict of the rescue mission and through it Luke is allowed to grow and eventually become a hero of the rebellion. Another great example is the lightsaber battle between Obi-wan and Darth Vader. Obi-wan makes it clear he shares a past with Vader and looks to confront him while Luke and Han Solo focus on freeing Leia. The duel between the two comes to an end as Obi-wan sacrifices himself to Vader so that the rest of the heroes can escape the Death Star.

Star Wars has been seen by some as an inspirational story about standing up in the face of evil and becoming someone bigger than you thought possible. I can relate to Luke in the sense of entering a larger world. As a child, I lived a very simple childhood and was not very outgoing. As I entered college, I realized there is a larger world out there and to be successful, I have to face it head on and with courage in addition to the knowledge I am gaining through my studies. Star Wars is as inspiring a film as it is entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie! My dad and I used to spend entire weekends watching them all in order. Those are memories I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete